Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Time in Washington, DC

Today our family took our annual trip to DC at Christmas time to show the kids some new sites as well as show my niece, Judy, what goes on in this area at Christmas time.

We started out our journey at Union Station to get ticketing information and to see the Christmas displays. Once the kids had their McDonald's fix, we ventured through the mall and shops. We were lucky enough to run into our President Elect Obama (pictured on the left). He is a busy man and didn't have time to chat with us. My wife invited him to dinner one night once things settle down a little for him and his family.

We then left Union Station to visit the National Christmas tree on the mall. It was cold and windy and thank god for the Yule Log! The kids made their donations tossing pennies onto the train cars as they passed. Everyone posed for me so I could take their picture in front of the huge tree.


After we all froze our fingers and toes off, we headed off to China town to show our niece where to catch a bus for New York. We also had dinner at a Chinese restaurant which my wife had been waiting to go to for some time. For me, the food was OK. I like her cooking better and I don't have to worry about Cabbage being in everything!!!

After our meals, we headed home. Everyone was pretty tired. Especially me as I had to get up at 4am to go to the office for a few hours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information. I am in the United Kingdom and trying to book up something for my son( 23) and my daughter ( 19 ) to visit Washington DC for a couple of days before they join the rest of the family in New York for Christmas in 2009 to make a change from the turkey at home ! Two of the three children will be in careers next year and such gatherings are going to be treasured for ever.

I wish to ask you were the museums open around the 20th - 23rd of December? Is it still possible to to apply for a visit to the Pentagon at that time of the year or do all washington people go home?

Any information will be welcome. We wish you and your family a great new year. I remember when our were as young as yours in the photos.

Father Of Twins said...

The museums are open year round rain or shine, or snow or shine as the case may be. The do have hours of operation and you can go to the smithsonian website to get more information than you care for! http://www.si.edu/Museums/ There are MANY museums and you can litterally spend several days trying to visit even the most popular ones.

I'm afraid I do not know about visits to the pentagon or even the white house. I believe you must know someone that works there in order to get tickets. Security was tightened up after 9/11. If I can find additonal information about it I will post it here.

Father Of Twins said...

Ha! Try these links for more information:

http://pentagon.afis.osd.mil/tours.html

http://www.whitehouse.gov/ The tour information is not available yet...well the president has only moved in 3 hours ago 8)