Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bald Eagles over Lake Mercer Today

Today started out very quiet at the lake. Not much was moving out there to take pictures of except for hundreds of Cormorants. If you want a lot of good subjects to photograph, come on down to Lake Mercer in Fairfax Station. I originally was hoping to find Herons but never found any. I walked nearly the entire south side of the lake and didn't find much so decided to go back to the dam by Hooes Rd. There I saw Ospreys circling overhead and one began a dive and caught the fish, shown here. As the Osprey circled overhead, a bald eagle swooped in and began to chase the Osprey. After about 15 minutes the Osprey had had enough and dropped the fish. The bald eagle caught the falling fish and flew off toward the south west side of the lake. Next time I will take a deeper approach to that side and see if I can find a nest. The shots were at the limit of my camera and lens. At 500mm and using an 18MP camera I still had to crop and process on the computer heavily to get what you see here. Shooting into the sky is incredibly difficult and with all of the action it's difficult to see, focus, and get the exposure right. However, despite the difficulty I am able to share these with you.

No comments: