Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pileated Woodpeckers at Lake Accotink

Made a trip to Lake Accotink in Springfield, VA over lunch hour one afternoon last week. Didn't know what to expect. After arriving I discovered that there was a school field trip going on and had pretty much decided that nothing, I mean NOTHING, would still be around with 200 kids goofing off everwhere. As I was about to leave I heard a Pileated Woodpecker nearby and decided to wait it out adjacent to a couple of very large but dead trees. Sure enough one showed up then two, three and then four total. I had obviously stumbled on a family. Here are some shots of the woodpeckers doing what they do. If the weather and time permits this week, I may swing back and see if they are still hanging around.


This one was likely a youngster. Sat in the tree and called for momma.


There are very large woodpeckers. Largest in America if I'm not mistaken.



Lucky me to capture this one jumping from one limb to the other straight towards me.



No comments: