Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Time and Oh The Yard Work


Left to Right: Bhudo Goromo, Sanke, Kohaku


It's warming up and time to start on the yard work. My neighbors were out fertilizing their lawn and I thought I also heard someone mowing the grass this morning!!! For me it means time to get ready for Koi season. The water is still cold about 47 degrees but getting warm enough for algea to grow and parasites to become more active. But still too cold to feed the fish. I wanted to get a head start on the UV clarifiers which will help keep the spring algea bloom in check. It will also help get the filter media prepped to process out ammonia once feeding is started.

Last weekend was an excellent time to get the pumps, lights, and filters going. Also I am in the process of salting the pond to .3% which will help knock off any parasites or protozoa that went dormant over the winter. 3 koi that were in my quarentine pond last fall were also moved to the main pond. All of them seem healthy and eager to eat but I must resist the urge to feed them until the water has reached 50 degrees for several days and no prospects for freezing weather to return.



I will be feeding them wheat germ designed for koi. I might also give them a treat from time to time, Cheerios (Plain).

No comments: